I did have to go on strict bed rest almost two weeks ago. I had another (third) pre-term labor scare. This one landed me in the hospital for two nights and three days. I had to take a LOT of meds to stop contractions and get steroid injections in case the babes did come early. This way their lungs, heart and brain would be protected. While in the hospital, I got an ultrasound from the perinatologist (the preemie doctor basically). There was a certain level of concern because the smaller baby boy didn’t have as much fluid around him as the bigger guy. Because of all these things adding up, I was put on strict bed rest. Staying in bed or my recliner most of the day, getting up to go to the bathroom, shower and walk around to make sure my circulation stays flowing.
We did get a follow-up this week and the fluid looked better, so the bed rest is working. But that doesn’t mean I get to go off of it anytime soon. I get checked every week from here on out.
But… There are definite plusses and minuses to bed rest. Here they are:
1. It isn’t as fun as it sounds. Everyone says “oh you get to watch tv all day and stay in bed!”. It’s good for about two days and then you have to practically beg your husband to drive you somewhere so you can get a view of the outside world that isn’t from your bedroom window. Also, there are many hours during the day that there is nothing on tv. I have to rely on DVR during those times. I am starting to run low.
2. You are alone a lot. Rian goes to work, Cameron goes to my Mom and Dad’s and to preschool (just started this week at our church). He wasn’t going to start until fall, but they found out our situation and bumped him in! I do have a permanent little heating pad with my dog Nelly, she WILL NOT leave my side.
3. You gain weight faster. I have been very good about my weight gain, but the past two weeks I have gained a lot more. No where to go to burn it off I guess!
4. If you push it too hard one day, you are out of commission for almost two days after that. By pushing it too hard I mean, going to the doctor and dropping Cameron off at school. Tonight I am out of commission. I do not even have enough energy to go downstairs and get Cameron a glass of water.
5. You realize how valuable your husband and mom are. They have done everything for me. Everything. If I asked them to wipe me, they would. Of course they would tease me about it, but they would.
6. Cameron gives me a lot more kisses and hugs. I love it.
7. Rian got me a new iPhone. I play “Words with Friends” all day with about 10 different friends, family members and old students. That helps keep my brain going!
8. Texting is different than calling (ie. Communicating). Now most of you know I love a good text conversation. But…when you are scared and emotional and worried almost every time you stand up that your water might break, an actual phone call once in a while means a lot more than a text. Also, you can text me a thousand times that “I can call for anything.” But the ones that mean the most are the “down to business texts and calls.” For example, my mom called and said, “I am coming over to clean the bathrooms today, unlock your door.”. Or Whitney called and said, “I am going to bring you Noodles for lunch. What do you want?”. That means more because I don’t have to think about it and it takes the pressure off.
9. Bed rest is a more serious situation than many people think. Read up on it before you say to me some asinine comments about it being fun and that myself and the babies are so big that if they did come now, they would be fine. Yeah, fine. After weeks in the NICU because even though they are big, they aren’t fully developed. I do not want babies in a NICU if I can avoid it. You shouldn’t either, because you won’t get to see them for a long time.
Can you tell I had a bad day?
There is an end in sight. The babies will be here April 27th as long as the amniocentesis on the 26th shows that their lungs are mature. This means they will be delivered at 36 weeks and 2 days which makes me nervous, but I trust my doctor and the perinatologist whole heartedly.
– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone